HAPPY NATIONAL CELIAC DISEASE AWARENESS DAY!!!
September 13th is National Celiac Disease Awareness Day, which is also the birthday of Samuel Gee, the man responsible of the first modern description of what we now call Celiac Disease. People around the nation are celebrating in different ways. Mandy’s Pizza, in Pittsburgh Pa, created what it hopes is the world’s largest gluten free pizza. Roti Mediterranean Grill in Washington DC is offering $1 off of certain gf items on their menu. And, I plan on eating a delectable Super Burger on a gluten free bun from Eat n’ Park!
Some facts on Celiac Disease:
- In average healthy people: 1 in 133 people have Celiac Disease.
- Celiac disease affects at least 3 million Americans.
- Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Vermont all have populations that are less than 2,200,000 the number of people living with celiac disease in the United States.
- The number of people with celiac disease in the U.S. would fill 4,400 Boeing 747 airplanes.
- There are more than 2,000 gluten free food items available in the United States, and consumers are more likely to find these foods in regular grocery stores.
- From 2004 – 2005, sales of gluten-free foods increased by 77.8 million dollars.
- Read more facts here…
What are you all planning for today? Making a favorite recipe for dinner? Trying something new? Doing anything to bring awareness to CD?
- pandamayhem reblogged this from glutenfreenoms
- lindshoppe likes this
- lindshoppe answered: I started a gluten free club at my university! Approved today :) how appropriate!
- bowie-with--boobs reblogged this from glutenfreenoms
- ittybittybarbellbabe reblogged this from glutenfreenoms
- rachelewright likes this
- frenchessence reblogged this from glutenfreenoms
- awalkingwounded reblogged this from glutenfreenoms
- glutenfreenoms posted this